Myrkur Article

14.04.2018 Myrkur

1000. Epica Concert

013 Tilburg (Netherlands)

(Olympus XZ-1)

After MaYaN I decided to have a short break to get something to eat. This mini festival will continue some more hours so that a small refreshment will be not that bad. So I only watched half of the performance of Myrkur. The Danish singer Amalie Bruun running this solo project together with her nameless instrumentalists.
According to the band name having its origin in the Islandic and the meaning “darkness” the whole stage was kept very gloomy and only tentative lights were providing short views onto the musicians. Also this time it was quite a huge contrast compared to the other bands as Myrkur is playing a mixture of folk rock, black metal and gothic all of that partly accentuated by spherical sounds and like during the ending “Villemann Og Magnhild” also supported by traditional instruments. The set was mainly formed by the current album “Maredit” but also for songs of the first album “M” like “Onde Børn“ or “Jeg Er Guden, I Er Tjerne” there was enough space. At the beginning the audience was very reserved but the applause was getting stronger towards the end of what Amalie Bruun was quite impressed.
An unusual sound that was not too bad. For sure nothing I will listen to every day but for an intermezzo like on this evening it was quite suitable.

Setlist:

• Longer Drone In Em
  • The Serpent
  • Ulvinde
  • Onde Børn
  • Vølvens Spådom
  • Jeg Er Guden, I Er Tjenerne
  • Elleskudt
  • Måneblôt
  • Villemann Og Magnhild

Weblinks:

Map: